Friday, March 21, 2008

The Dentist is No Jest!

Man, I've been playing the Witcher lately, and these old ladies say "Old age is no jest" once in a while, and for some reason I think it's just hilarious.

But today I think a lot of things are hilarious, because I'm on Tylenol III with codiene. Yeah man, I had to go to the dentist today to get crowns, that's no jest! Those things hurt, and you're mad sore when it's done. I mean, I'm no stranger to the dentist chair. Honestly, I could probably be driving a Navigator or something for what I've paid to have my mouth fixed over the last few years, but a crown is up there with the worst dental procedure an average person has to go through, and I've been through most of them. Worst part is they're like $800 per crown, and I need to get seven of them.

But today I had to have three of them done, and I'm glad it's over. Well not quite, they need to take these temps out and put in permanent ones, but I think all of the drilling is over!

So I thought I'd drop this post before I start getting all light headed and need to take a nap. So obviously I won't be modding much this weekend, unless I'm feeling better tomorrow or something. Just want to wallow in my own self pity, thank you very much.

In any case, last few days I finished up a cut scene that came out more awesome than I thought it would and started working on the Great Library, which will either be a quick area or a monster of an area depending on what I do with it. I made the bookshelves out of the new MotB estate tileset ones, those are nice but a pain to line them up. I just need to do the little reading areas and tables with stacks of books and some candles and whatever, so there's not much left to do. Well, plus the NPCs and whatever, but that's not a big deal. But I said that about the Inn too and look what happened! But I doubt I'll be putting in dancing NPCs in the libarary. Well give me a few more of these Tylenols and we'll see though.

Once this area is done I can finish up the sidequest chain I'm working on and throw up the new build for those that still have it in them to test further. It will add two additional quest chains and five new areas. The city is getting nearer and nearer to completion, then it's on to the somewhat linear and therefore faster final mod and not far after, release.

OK, but back to the library, my original plan is to add random book dialogues to the bookshelves in there. I did a similar thing in the Museum in Chapter 1 if you've played it, so I can reuse some of that. But let me ask you guys, do you think I should take a week or so out to type up a ton of these for the library? It's a cool way to add a ton of lore about FR in there, but it's also a phenomenal amount of writing. If you'll recall from earlier I put one in the temple to the Triad, and that was about 7000 words. A dozen or so of those is a pretty big project. Would you be interested in reading that? Let me know what you think.

Oh, by the way, I was interviewed by the NWN Podcast crew two days ago. Be on the lookout for that, link's on your left.

10 comments:

Josh said...

My favorite lines were: "Someone stole my trousers!" and "Your mama sucks dwarf ****." The second one was just so random :P

I really wish they did a better job on the voiceovers than what they did. Really makes me sad they were so cheap in the English version.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the upgraded version in May with the added dialog etc will make up for what The Witcher lacked in. The game it self was a lot of fun imo.

Wick, Sorry for your dental pain. I hope it passes soon, or at least the Tylenol 3 works wonders :)

Liso

Anonymous said...

BTW. Dirtywick's NWNP interview will be released on 4/11/08. Now you know when to look out for it :)

Wyrin said...

Re. the book dialogues - I might be in a minority, and I know there's some people that love this, but I find I'm less interested in reading descriptions from objects and more in reading dialogue from NPCs. I know it can add a lot to the experience for some players, but give me a talkative NPC historian anyday

Anonymous said...

Ditto on Wyrin's comment. I rarely read anything in the placeable books. I may skim a few here and there. But give me a NPC talking historian any day. The only way I'll read a book, if it "seems" needed for a quest"

Liso

dirtywick said...

Liso, thanks for the date on the podcast. I hope you all marked your calendars.

The dialogues in question aren't object descriptions. Basically you'd click on the bookshelf and a dialogue box pops up with an excerpt from the "random" book you grabbed.

Anonymous said...

Oh, in that case. add it. I click on anything that highlights! :)

Wyrin said...

i think for me it boils down to how dry the presentation is. A bare statement of facts from a book won't necessarily be as fun as some historian with his own prejudices giving his own take on things - but this could be in written form too.

Zach Holbrook said...

I feel your dental pain. I am destined for two root canals at some point in the future. I am not sure why (I have a very rigorous dental routine), but my teeth seem to be cursed.

I am waiting to play the re-release of the Witcher, which is apparently going to make more sense. The story gets very confusing in Vizima.

Books: Yay books. But yeah, the lore should have an interesting angle.

Emmy Summers said...

I had my two molar teeth crowned just recently. Going through dental crowning may be uncomfortable, but I'd rather have my teeth crowned than pulled. =)