Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Couple of Days

It's the 29th today. Should be seeing my wife on the 3rd or so. Apparently it can be quite a process to make it to here from across the world. I don't remember it being that difficult when I came back from deployment. Basically I showed up at the airport in Bagram, Afghanistan, got on a flight and left. Of course, I took a three week detour in Germany, then went to Qatar for a few hours, then left.

See, when you're deployed, you don't pay taxes. So I jerked around for the better part of a month until the 30th on "official" business, went to Qatar for a few hours until the 1st of the month, then left 5 minutes later, netting me a whole month of tax free pay.

So yeah, I kind of scammed you tax payers. My bad.

Now here's something that's always kind of gotten me. Alright, so if you can travel the world in 24 hours, and if you're always going backwards through the time zones, is it the same day when you get back to where you start? You know what I'm saying? Because if you leave like Atlanta at 4, and travel 4 hours to Los Angeles, it'll still be 4 o'clock when you get there, which is kind of weird. So I figure if you leave Atlanta at 4, travel around the world in 24 hours, it'll be 4 in Atlanta. But will it be the same day?

Because Superman may have been right in Superman 2 when he spun the world backwards to reverse time if that's the case. Because if it works that way, you could travel around the world really fast, and get off of a plane like 50 years later and be really old, but it's still the same day! Weird, right? Of course, you'd probably be an idiot for doing that, unless like you really, really need to grow a long, white beard for some reason.

I don't think it works that way though. It's probably the same time the next day, which really offers you no time travel advantages.

So, with all that in mind, I'm going to completely switch topics. The "good" path for the main quest in the city is completely done, and the "bad" quest has a small section to add. I could be done with it tonight if I don't decide to play Civ 4 instead, which is looking likely.

So what does that mean? I'm probably not going to be done in a few days if I do my list and extras. I could just finish up the "bad" way and call it a day, but I'm not going to do that. Probably won't get a good test in that way either, and frankly the section can be failure prone and I'm doing a lot of new things I haven't tested past my computer (which, I learned from Ch 1, doesn't mean it works everywhere. This engine is...not so good I think). I built in some fool proof stuff that's a little cheesy in case it does and all of the journal entries fire regardless instead of being planted into the cutscene, so even if it fails you can still continue. Do you know how hard it is to start a cutscene in the middle of a battle? I've pulled out some stuff, but Chain Lightning, Weird, Circle of Death and a few other spells have a propensity to fail it for some reason...a lot of stupid delays in the damage scripts I think that keeps the player in a combat state despite scripts to clear that state. It's only a handful of classes that can cast these spells, and they may be beyond the level range of the mod, but better to be safe. So I leave them immortal, change their faction instead of dying, so you can talk to them instead of the death script failing and you being stuck, which is corny but a middle ground.

But it's good progress, the end is near.

Anyway, since I won't make my deadline I'll just wait and add another small section like I was talking about and do my list of extras. It's really not much, but with 4 days left, it's not going to happen. Plus there's been some new mods out so it's all good, right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the subject of your travel time-travel question, you don't reach Atlanta the same day cuz at one point in the Pacific Ocean/Behring Strait you add one day.

Eh, what about your next module, is it coming any sooner than MoW?

Regards
Fardoche77

dirtywick said...

Yeah I figured or else somebody would have already been done it.

I'd say within a month of today it'll be finished, but I keep pushing it back because stuff is coming up, so I'm kind of a liar. If that beats MoW, more the better I say!

Wyrin said...

Cutscenes and spells - it was body of the sun that caught me out - move the NPCs after a battle when one of them had it cast, they'd walk past eveyone and the aura would kill them. Happened in H&C too


so *almost* there - great! this is sounding like some really serious playtime too.

Jazhara7 said...

Ah, but it doesn't work entirely that way. Yes, you can travel back about a day by flying over the date border. But only one day. The earth keeps on turning, and if it reaches the date border, the day is over. Flying over it won't help you with that.

Civ4? Pfft. Civ 2 is the way to go. Or did they go back to make it a bit more like that? (If they left out giving you the option to build your castle/throne room, it's not worth it. Sure, the game is good, but that just puts the dot on the "i".). (Actually, I *could* go and check, since I bought the Civilization chronicles a while ago...but my computer currently has too many games installed.)



(On a side note, who else wished they could get their hands on Sid Meier's "Colonization"? It's the most awesome Sid Meier game ever, but sadly they don't sell it any longer. :(


...wait a minute, I just saw they're going to release an expansion for CIV IV which is a remake of "COLONIZATION"! O.O CIV IV RULESSSS!!! XD )


Okay, I'll stop rambling now. :P


One thing, though. You could always add any extras later on, if you have time. I personally do replay modules (though oddly enough I rarely replay OCs. Not counting the Baldur's Gate games, of course, as with all the mods out there, there's always something new to discover. :) ), and it's even more fun if there's something new to discover. Think about it. :)



- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

dirtywick said...

Yeah, it's pretty long. Probably about 40 hours from start to finish including chapter 1.

Nah, you can't build throne rooms in Civ 4. It's a tough game though, and having not played a Civ before 4 I don't know the difference. I was trying to teach it to my wife so we could play while she was gone, and she kind of got it, but Gamespy is a turd. And yes they're doing Colonization, it might even be out. I know they just released a console Civ, but screw that.

Anyway, you'll have to play it more than once to see everything. There's at least 5 quest chains, probably more, that are completely different if you make a different choice. Plus the noble houses have 3 quests each and there's 6 of those and you only get 1 each play through. And I'm putting in an alternate ending (that's what I'm working on now).

I might put it up as a beta before I leave on the vault and add the extras and fix whatever bugs come up for the "full" release. If I get the alternate ending done in time.

But I'm not in any rush, as you can see I'm playing Civ 4 haha

Jazhara7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jazhara7 said...

Ah, Gamespy...I take it you are finished with Baldur's Gate, then? I am still thinking about that should I come across a reasonably priced version of the Baldur's Gate collection (both games with expansions) I'll buy it, and send it to you as an early Christmas/late "Give a person you never met outside the web a gift"-day present. :) So that you can experience in the full, modded glory that you should, you know. Because seriously, those games are great, but with mods they've become even better (though even without the mods, they're great, of course. :) )

Anyway, I don't like the sound of not being able to build a throne room. I had been playing Civilization 1 even before I could read, and always looked forward to extending my palace - I still remember that the highest form of the expansion of any one palace part was some kind of marble...only it was purple. Of course, I didn't get too far since I couldn't read.

But by the time Civilization II was out I *could* read, and I was quite a bit better. So at the age of about 8, I think it was, I was playing this game, and was good at it. Of course, sometimes I just played for fun, and turned cheating on (they actually had a menu option up beside "File", "Edit", "View" and the like, labelled "Cheating"), but I *loved* it.

And Colonization I only ever got to play on the computer at some friends. But whenever I was there I would play it, even when I hardly spoke any English (which isn't a problem any longer, these days, of course), and they only had the English version. Good days. ^_^


Anyway, you'll have to play it more than once to see everything. There's at least 5 quest chains, probably more...

For a second there I was thinking you were still talking about Civ 4 there, and was about to shout "NO WAIIII!! o.O Quests?! That's not Civilization!!! AAAAARGH!!!"...until I realised you had switched to talking about the mod (How dare you! :P ;) ).

Seriously, though, that sounds good. And I think uploading it on the vault as a beta first, and adding stuff later sounds good too. :)


- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

dirtywick said...

Yeah, Gamespy has some free servers you can host games on. I think it's called Pit Boss or something like that. We tried to log in together to play a co-op game against the AI, but we couldn't get it working and trying to figure out the problem was too much.

I'm still playing Baldur's Gate kind of, just haven't in a while. If you want to send me the box, shoot, I'll take it :D I'll even trade you for my wife's copy of Civ 4 and the expansion that we can't use ;)