Monday, July 21, 2008

How many text tags can exist at once?

That's five.

Well, anyway, after pulling my hair out for the better part of the week, I've finally made some progress. As many of you know, or not depending on if you've been paying attention (and really, the literacy rates these days...) I'm on the last leg of the journey that is building a mod too big for one person to build. I expect to have the critical paths "done" by the end of the week. That is, if things go differently than they did this week. Because it was a huge pain the ass.

But, y'all cats will see why. You're going to trip.

In retrospect, I think I'm doing it the stupid way. The final (not really, I'll come back to that) quests of the mod modify the mod so much that I should have just made another mod with duplicate areas and just filled it in. Now I'm paiting hundreds of waypoints and spawning and deleting stuff every other cutscene. But screw it, it's already mostly done.

It's pretty wild though. Hopefully it doesn't suck because getting the thing to work properly has been a huge hassle.

Anyway, now back to what I was talking about two paragraphs ago, the "final" quest. See, the thing is, the city portion is open ended, so you don't necessarily have to do that one last, and when it's done you can keep going with sidequests. What I'm concerned about now is whether that's a sufficient "ending" to the module. There's two quest chains that are required to proceed to the third, and currently non-existant, chapter. So you could do those two first (well, probably not because you'll need a level or two and some gear to have a shot I think), and then do sidequests until it's done, which I don't think is a very satisifying ending.

So I was thinking about adding on the beginning of Chapter 3 as the ending of Chapter 2 instead, so at least it doesn't end on a diretionless sidequest frenzy. What do you all think?

Thing about that is, I got my wife's leave date, the 2nd of August. Which is great for the family here, but not so great for you all. I was originally projected to be the 7th. So I basically lost a week of time to finish this.

So bearing in mind that if I add an extra chunk, it probably wouldn't be out until September. I could probably get that done before she comes, but my list of "extras" wouldn't make the cut, which I want to do at least some of them.

I guess we'll see how much time I have left later this week and take it from there.

But what do you all think? Weird non-ending now, or a month delay for another 15-20 minutes for a better ending?

8 comments:

Wyrin said...

which version are YOU going to be happier with?

plus you don't want to have to be blaming your wife for coming back early if you rush something out! :)

sounds like you fancy waiting to put in the extra stuff, so go for it

hell, you might still beat MoW...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wyrin, do what you are going to feel happy with, we waited this long for it, we can wait a little longer :-). By the way, when MoW suppose to come out anyway?

Maeniel Celeres

Unknown said...

If you've spent this much time already, makes sense to me to hold off just a bit longer to wrap it up the why you'd like.

JasonNH

Anonymous said...

I agree with these fellas. Do what YOU will feel better about. If it were up to me though, as much I want to play, (I really liked your first and this one sounds outstanding!) I'm willing to wait for some extra awesome. Besides, more work also means more enteraining blog posts for me to read. *thumbs up*

dirtywick said...

Ha! MoW...everytime I talk about that it rarely turns out well.

Yeah, we'll see I guess. It makes sense to hold off, but at the same time just being done would be a huge weight off of my shoulders.

Plus I'd look like less of an idiot for saying, a few days ago, how it'd definately be done by then. Still look like an idiot for other things I say, which is unfortunate. But I know when to cut my losses.

Anonymous said...

Wait.

Also, close the italic tag that's messing up every subsequent entry...

dirtywick said...

What do you mean in the title? It's closed.

Anonymous said...

Somehow it isn't closed on FF3. It is on FF2 though. Weird.