Monday, January 14, 2008

Lack of Updates Lately?

Yeah, I know. I'm usually more on it than this. I just haven't updated here is all. If you're interested, check out this:

Bi-Weekly Update

I've been doing that for a while, and I had just done one a few days ago that was rather lengthy which left me little to discuss here that wasn't redundant.

Additionally, I wrote this little tutorial on how to merge 2das and change model numbers, which you can find here, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

In any case, it's about that time. So, let's talk about what I've been working on. I think some screenshots will suffice to show the last area I did, so let's go with that route.



Find more here.

So I made a temple to the Triad, Tyr, Torm, and Illmater. I think it came out pretty cool. I actually did a lot of writing for this section, as there's a large bookcase in the upper level featuring ~4000 words of text on the Planes and Deities in Faerun. Not particularly exciting to take screens of, but it'll give you a good picture of what's happening. I also am in the middle of a sidequest involving that temple and the Shadow Thieves where you can pull off a triple cross! That's a double cross followed by a double cross, or keeping your word to one of the two. Or not, that's just one of the solutions to this particular sidequest. The other solution is going to require two areas to be built.

Again I have to reiterate, more for my benefit, that things are going slowly now, and I know it, but since I'll be using the area for multiple quests each, well as much as I can, things should speed up as I progress as I'll have less areas to build. I'm currently building 2-4 per quest chain, which means filling it in with NPCs with full dialogue as well, and will be for a while, but not long after it'll be 0 and just writing a lot of dialogue and scripts with the many conditionals (like, what if he's dead, but he's not dead? Need to acknowledge that because it won't make sense if he's saying this...) into existing dialogue files. I'm not really looking forward to that time to be honest, makes building areas seem easy. But the end results so far for the quests I have are awesome, you really have a ton of options to fit your character. Unfortunately, I can't really show that through screens nor do I want to give away the possibilities, it's half the fun of playing Subtlety of Thay.

Well, let's end this with a screen:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thousand conditional statement dialogue? Oh yes, that kind of quest. They're probably the worst ones to write. It's like writing several versions of the same thing. It's kind of repetitive and monotonous, but it adds to replayability if you pull it off with a good storyline.

And I just recently wrapped one of those dialogues up. Turned out to be 2000 words average per individual, which totaled up to be 8000 words for the whole area. Wasn't fun I'll tell ya. At least two of the four dialogues was easy to write because they were interesting characters to me :)

I still have one more of those dialogues to write (just in case one your companions are dead or you're solo).

Good luck with SoT2 :)

Jclef said...

Sweet update - Your interior design skills are top notch. And thanks for the tutorial link!

dirtywick said...

Anduraga, worst part is they still probably won't work right!


Thanks jclef. I finished the temple to Umberlee just last night and it's probably one of my favorite areas to date. I'll have to think of something to put in there so the player spends more time in it than what I have planned for it.