Monday, January 21, 2008

Well, you get a lot of screenshots.

I guess that's the nice thing about working primarily on area building for the last few weeks. I have a lot of screen shots to show for it.

Originally, I was going to wait until I completely finished the area I've been working on the last few days, but I'm about due for an update, so here it is:



That's the temple to Umberlee, the second of the five major temples in Velprintalar.

Oh, you thought that was it?

Well, part of the quest chain that originally started way back when I was working on the "homebase" area also requires a trip into the catacombs, a series of tunnels interconnecting the five temples and their basements. So, I had to get cracking on that massive 24x24 interior, and here's some of the results:







So, F it, I'll say, pretty awesome, right?

As for what remains, I'll be working on the tunnels. I'm using the RWS sewer tileset to do those:



What I did there was lay it out like a grid, with shortcut doors. I'm going to be blocking tunnels with debris so it's more mazelike, and getting from point A to point B can be a little tricky, and the catacombs aren't without their dangers:



Whew! Lots of stuff going on in all those screens.

What else is good? I've been emailing back and forth with a friend; actually it was someone who e-mailed me some great feedback from chapter 1 and we've been talking about design philosophies and all kinds of stuff, it's been very informative and it's kind of nice to have somebody to bounce ideas off of and explain why I did certain things the way I did and compare the differences between PnP and cRPG. Good thinkin' stuff or whatever.

Anyway, my point here is that I got this list of item concepts, I don't really know where they came from originally, but there's a lot of really cool ideas in there. Now, a while ago I wrote this script (later to see that one already existed in the toolset; you'd be surprised what you don't know in terms of what scripts already exist, mostly because they're naming conventions are wacky as hell) to give an item when you use a placeable and to get rid of the placeable. I've been using it for some more interesting stuff, but mostly for like scrolls or potions or in conjunction with the item placeables to give out weapons and armor.

But I've also been using it for what the MMO community (used to play WoW for a while, was pretty good at it collecting epic loot, wife got mad, finally realized MMOs are pretty stupid in general anyway, happily ever after) call vendor trash to change things up from gold piles and gems into aged wine and ornate candle sticks.

Anyway again, I got this list of cool items and figured, let's take it a step further from vendor trash to vendor trash that, if you figure out which vendor wants it the most, will give you a great deal! So I've been putting in various places around the city all kinds of items from this list and NPCs who would take an interest in the item and pay nicely for it. Sort of a fun little easter egg hunt thing you can do.

Well, let's close this off with some reader feedback: The "problem" I'm having here is I'm going to be putting realism on the back burner for the most part in the city in a very specific way: there's going to be a lot to do for the industrious player. For instance, every temple is going to have at least one sidequest. The two I have done have more than one already and that's likely to continue. All of the temples are on the same hill. So, what are the odds that all of the major temples in the city all have some kind of major problem(s) all at the same time? Slim to none in real life. There's going to be dozens of sidequests in and around the city within walking distance. I already know what's going to happen, it's going to seem like every named NPC in the city has some kind of major problem that needs to be resolved and will be asking a total stranger to help. But, that's the way things have got to be! Or I'm wasting a whole lot of time detailing dozens of buildings if there's nothing to do but look around and hear some random NPC pointless dialog, right? I mean, we are playing these things to hear a cool story, solve some quests, gain some XP and collect some cool loot, right?

I don't know, what do you guys think?

7 comments:

Jclef said...

Dude, ok...

1. Those screen shots are EPIC - I mean it! Nice work with the RWS stuff. I'm sure they'll be psyched to see their stuff put to such good use!

2. Despite how good areas look, there HAS to be stuff to do (like you said). So fill her up! Because I doubt, with your creativity, they're all going to be "Kill X amount of rats/goblins in our basement" quests!

Nice update, DW!

dirtywick said...

Hey, do you have a blog or a site? I'll link to it if you give me the URL.

Jclef said...

Sure thing:

http://ravenloftmod.blogspot.com/

I just started building this thing in Dec, so not too much to speak of yet.

But anyways - thanks for linking!

Anonymous said...

These look really cool, but again...

That's a LOT of point lights over water in shot #1. Remember the castle reception hall?

dirtywick said...

Don't worry, I remembered. There's only 1 light in the area in the middle with a huge range. It's actually a combination of placed effects that makes it look like lights, but they don't actually give off any light or shadows or anything.

Wyrin said...

Those screenshots are amazing - great stuff!

Re. sidequests - personally I thin too many just gets silly - when you feel like every bum wants someone killed, something delivered, someone intimidared/bluffed/diplomacied. Not that I think you'd be unimaginative, but for me it just feels too messy, and sidequests shouldnt detract from the main plot. In your list of story, quests, xp and loot, I'd put much more emphasis on the story (main story) than anuy of the others - but I know some might differ. Temples and other main locations having sidequests makes sense, maybe with a couple of 'run-in' encounters and quests. But more than that..? Then I just think of everyone I just saw commuting on the london underground - do they all want someone killed? Probably, but that's not the point....

Anonymous said...

Nice screenshots dude. My favorite type of areas are with water in them as you can do so much with them.

And I echo some of Wyrin's thoughts there. But instead of strictly adhering to the main plot, you can go for a main theme as well. As long as the quest lines aren't all the same in some way or another. You can also use sidequests for companion's quests. Players often like those if they're done well. In BG2, Jaheira often left the party to visit the Harper Hold. Just some food for thought ;)