Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another Blog Post

It's one of those days where I don't have a fancy title for this post. I mean, I was even having trouble coming up with something to say for my module of the day update, so I just rambled a bit and threw up some numbers that may or may not have been pulled from my nether region (they weren't, but how often do you have a chance to use "nether region"?)

So yeah, I finally got the temple war sequence working correctly! That turned into a huge project, too many conditionals and, therefore, too much room for mistakes, which happened. Frequently. But I got it working, hopefully permanently. To celebrate, I immediately moved on to the next area and pushed that fiasco as far from my mind as possible; it was draining me.

So, here's some pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

OK, another temple. Probably sick of seeing those; me too. But the good news is there's only one more to do after this one. More good news is these should be less involved than the last two in terms of how much time it'll take to set the sidequests up and get them working. I plan on keeping them both fairly simple by comparison. Even more good news is the other temple quests are working properly. Did I mention that?

So really, there's a pretty good chance it will be needlessly complicated and incredibly time consuming, given my track record! It's already starting with some of the scripting I'm doing...

What else is happening?

There was a NWN Podcast roundtable interview (you can find the link to the show to your left, possibly about even with this paragraph, possibly not! It's hard to tell as I write this.) on Sunday. Sounded pretty cool, a lot of people I've come in contact with over the last year or so were on it talking about their projects. Felt a little put out myself, too many times not being picked for kickball I suppose. I couldn't tune in because my daughter was sick. If you have kids, you know how they are when they're sick, they literally freak the F out when you stop touching them...or maybe that's just mine. And the week was this huge disaster between the storms and flu. And now really it's my turn to be sick, I can feel it coming on. That's another thing you know if you have kids, if your kid is sick you'll be sick.

So I won't be able to actually listen to it for a few weeks, which is fine I guess. But that's definately one of the podcasts I'm looking forward to hearing. It's always cool to catch a new spin on things and hear some input in general game design.

I guess that's about all I got.

7 comments:

Wyrin said...

Don't see that you not being there was a slight - you'd need a dedicated podcast to yourself! Michelle is planning this with the next round of NWN2 releases, so SoT2 should be in there. ('sides, IMO SoT is up there with H&C as the best two mods out there at the mo).

screenshots for these temples are looking really great and amazing level of detail.

dirtywick said...

Thanks Wyrin for the huge compliment.

Far as NWPodcast goes, I'm not mad at them. I like the show a lot...which is why it'd be nice to get a mention! But I didn't mean anything in a bad way.

I almost deleted that line in the post because I didn't want anyone taking it the wrong way haha

Anonymous said...

So did you ever resolve your "too many quests" concern?

I was going to suggest that, if you're worried about "everyone has a quest" syndrome, you can hide a bunch by chaining some together (you have to finish X to have quest Y appear) and having others be companion-specific.

Don't know if you've moved past this point though.

dirtywick said...

Ah, good question flem, and I'm glad you asked it!

First, I have been doing that a little bit. For instance, one of the quests I did was breaking into a treasury, but you can pick it up from at least two different NPCs. Of course, you can only rob the place once.

And then if you want to work with one of the theif groups, you'll have to get your foot in the door; one way to do that is to rob a certain treasury.

Either way, I think by next weekend I'll have the entire temple section finished, so maybe a beta tester could provide some input on that? ;)

I don't know where I'm going to host it now though. Rogue Dao changed their password to their server, not sure what's going on. I'll try and find out though if it's not resolved by the time I'm ready.

Amraphael said...

Interesting reading, as always. The screen shoots shows a lot of details, and I like that.

Great job!

Anonymous said...

DW, check the boards...

dirtywick said...

Thanks for stopping by Amraphael. I can't believe that I forgot to add your blog to the list (some of that CC work you're doing over there is awesome!), but that's easily fixed.

flem, I'm on it.