Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's Leap Year

News to me. Apparently it's the end of the month. Seems somehow appropriate that I stumbled across this Gwar video of the song Meat Sandwich in which the lead singer dunks on Jesus. Crazy and hilarious. Apparently the concept of the video is Gwar is grilling out with some punks and Jesus doesn't like that, so he challenges them to a game of one-on-one?

All I know is that's so devoid of logic that it's awesome.

I've got to tell you, I can't really say that I listen to any music besides rap with any regularity (also if you like rap you should check out the new Wu Tang, 8 Diagrams, which is the best any of them have done since the 90's), but I have a soft spot for Gwar. What a bunch of nuts, although this is coming from a guy who thinks guys in their 40's rapping about karate is cool, so take that with a grain of salt. I also watched this band called Lordi who, apparently, won some kind of European battle of the bands on the international scale; I don't know that much about it, but the song was cool and it's like Gwar except less awesome and more 80's hair band in Gwar clothes.

Also makes me want to put in custom music, but copy right issues and the "hmmm, this probably isn't appropriate" vibe kind of break that off.

As far as modding goes, we're in the testing phase at this point, and I've taken the week "off" (not really, I'll get to that). Well, tried to. I ran into a few snags, including the very first and a really important script breaking that was working months ago even during public testing making me look like an idiot, and my hak messing up because of the 2da (let this be a lesson, your 2da file acts crazy with entries greater than 4 digits).

But anyways, as far as being "off" goes, to me that qualifies as playtesting and taking screen shots for the eventual custom loading screens. Let me tell you, exploring every nook and cranny has taken me all week. What is it Thursday? I started on Sunday night and I'm still not done! I will probably finish up tonight though, chill for the weekend, and get back to building on Monday.

And I hate testing. Eventually I get to the point where when I get criticism of any part of my campaign, I'm instictively agreeing, like "yeah, I hate it too!" Sometimes I do, I play the thing so damn much and it's usually me playing when it's not working right so there's compounded frustration. I mean, think about it; I'll end up playing it buggy and broken probably a dozen times from start to finish testing various aspects, and each quest gets tested individually dozens of times as I try to break it as I'm building, adjusting static cameras and balance, moving characters around, whatever, and testing again and again; it gets tedious.

Which is kind of ironic, playing the game being the worst part of making a game...

Did I mention how thankful I am of anyone who tests and gives feedback?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Downloaded but I am having a crazy time at work. This week i´m going to play and leave a note on the forum. ;-)