Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Last House is Done

And it couldn't have come at a better time. Nothing particularly special about the time that it did other than I made what seems like dozens of dozens of bedrooms. Let me tell you, where there's only like 4 beds that looks nice, a handful of rugs, and a few cabinets, making bedrooms that look distinct from one another can prove difficult. And tiresome, for that matter.

But it's over, and I feel good. Want to see some screens of the last one? No? Well you're going to have to if you want to read the rest of this post, because I'm embedding them below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And that's that. Next, I really need to sit down and figure out exactly how I want this to play out. I don't want it to feel thrown together, but rather a (limited, I'm not that smart) intricate plot that when you piece it together you're like "oh!", from 6 different points of view. I'll probably take a few minutes tomorrow to do that in between my nap and my post nap rest. Taking a nap can be tiring, I'm almost 26.

But yeah, that's where I'm at. I hope, by the end of the month, to be done with the noble houses, take my 4th of July break for a week or so, and wrap this thing up by mid-July. I was pretty close with the June ball park figure all those months ago. I'm a little peeved that I didn't make it, but that's life. I just don't think I can put the quality I want down on these last parts in two weeks. I can get quite a bit more done in another two weeks; it doesn't seem like much time, but for real, I spend at least 40 hours a week working on this. Another 80 hours is a lot of time.

But anyway, that's all I got. No off topic stuff this week, other than today I got GameTap and will finally play Baldur's Gate for the first time. I have no expectations of it, other than people talk about it like it's the next coming of Christ. That's an achievable standard I think. Dude was only a carpenter, right? Big deal, I built a shelf in 6th grade wood shop.

So if Baldur's Gate doesn't build me a shelf, I'm going to be pissed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gametap makes it difficult to use mods, right? Because BG1 sort of sucks without them.

dirtywick said...

I'm not sure. I could play BG 2 instead, but figured I should play 1 first.

Anonymous said...

BG was decent for its time, but BG 2 was better.

I heartily recommend dling mods for both.

Jazhara7 said...

If you *do* have the option to play Baldur's Gate 1 with mods, I'd take it. Baldur's Gate 1 was great. Great plot, great fun roaming the wilderness (occasionally running into encounters way above your level. Ah, complete slaughter of the clueless party. Those were the days. Funfun. ^_^ ).

However, especially after having first played Baldur's Gate 2, the lack of real NPC interaction is painfully obvious. Also, the interface was a bit obstructive.

So if you have the option to use mods, I highly recommend getting Baldur's Gate Tutu (or EasyTutu), and then the BG 1 NPC project.

BGTutu

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=143&Itemid=98

BG 1 NPC:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/


If you have any questions about that, should you decide to use them, feel free to ask. Or you could ask in the forums there. The people are always very friendly and helpful.


- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EC said...

Nice shots: I especially like the one with the fireplace.

Just 26? Really? ;)

40 hours/week modding. Ok, now I understand better how you can make this huge beast. I'm lucky if I get 8 in...

I've been telling myself I should play BG1/2 for ages. Haven't played them either. But it's either that, or MotB or community mods. Since I'm sensitive to graphics... Plus these things are huge it seems (50+++ hours). It would mean handing it over my gaming time for months. Not sure if I'm willing to make that commitment.

Anyway, I hope you post about your experiences if you do play. That would be interesting.

dirtywick said...

I looked in to it, doesn't look like I'll be using any mods with GameTap. Oh well.

So now that I've gotten a little bit in to BG, and I tried BG2 for 5 minutes (which doesn't have any crazy graphical glitches and is much more smooth) which one should I play? I think I need to do BG first, because I don't know who half of the characters in BG2 are you meet in the beginning.

I also don't understand the rules much in either. But yeah, I can document it as I go, that's easy. I'm not going to read any guides or nothing, I'll just play.

Anonymous said...

BG2 is better, plus it starts off giving you the canonical version of "how you *really* did it", so you may get frustrated if you play BG1 first and do it a different way.

Also, you don't need a mod to play at a non-eyesplittingly low resolution ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and you can use pause in combat. In BG1, the game unpauses if you enter the inventory screen... So make sure you have those quickslots set up.

Anonymous said...

Those are some sweet screenies DW. My character my decide to slaughter the house hold and take the house for himself! hehe

If BG does build you a shelf. I'll play too! :p

Josh said...

I personally liked BG2 better because the plot was just so much better and the spell graphics in it put NWN2's to absolute shame.

The way BG2 opens up, there's dialogues to fill you in on who Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen were. And even Khalid, although Dynaheir probably wasn't mentioned as much. There is a side quest in BG2 that returns some character in BG1, but I don't want to spoil it for you (although its not likely you'll ever find this side quest without stumbling across it at the right time).

You don't really need any prior experience with BG1 to be able to play and understand BG2. The only thing it kind of takes for granted is Gorion and Sarevok and even then, they are spoken very little of. It's usually Irenicus this. Irenicus that.

And another thing that's kind of off tangent from the main topic that has always bugged me.... A mage in BG2 is something to fear, but a mage in NWN2 is something to laugh at. NWN2 really whacked the poor guys to death with the nerf stick. In the BG series, health was pretty scarce, so mages could fairly easily do alot of damage even with fairly basic spells. But in NWN2, they went ahead and maximized the health for you automatically, added new HP feats, made the spells do less damage, and made most of them touch attacks which very rarely ever hit anything.