Tuesday, June 3, 2008

...so it's going to have to be me? Really? Well, alright!

You know, I was really hoping somebody would address this so I wouldn't have to besides a silent nod, which nobody would actually see, but I assure you would actually take place. I could probably find a .gif of somebody nodding, probably even Captain Picard (he seems to be in a lot of .gifs) but I'd first look for Rambo (but I'm not sure if he silently nodded in any movies, haven't seen the new one though, plenty of silent grimaces (and what was the point of the McDonald's guy Grimace? Did he have any powers?)), and we could work something out.

But first, let's take a look at some screens:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm getting in a bad habit of putting these up before they are populated. Anyway, this another of the noble houses, leaving only 2 left once I've populated this one, so I should be working on the next one later this week. Of course, populating them includes putting in NPCs to do things and their "player has no quests here" conversations should somebody curious walk into one of those areas with no purpose, so it's not as simple as slapping down some NPCs and an enter script to do the random ones. But it won't be so bad, either, because those conversations tend to be short.

Anyway, I'm taking a leisurely pace here. It is my projected release month, but I'm pretty close and the ongoing testing helps. Maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't, but it'll be very close, surprisingly because it was, at the time, just a guess. I really like June, my birthday is this month and so is my wifes. It would be awesome to be done by the 4th though, so I could be done, go blow my fingers off with some drunken fireworks fun, and be healed enough to see my wife in August for the first time since September last year without having to think about how I'm not getting anything done.

In any case, the title and first paragraph need to be addressed. So, this is what I'm talking about:

Click here

I've been thinking about this like, how can I say this without sounding like a hater? How can I say this without seeming like a jerk for my involvement with the beholder and drider?

Well, the simple answer is I can't. But the fact is, and hopefully we all know this, is that these models should not be getting ratings this high, period. And hopefully both the people who voted, and the people involved with making them agree, because that would squash this potential beef. But if it has to be a beef, then that's what it is.

Seriously, these models are from an old game, and I say this without reservation, that is quite graphically challenged (is that the PC term these days for ugly?) The models were built with that in mind, not to detract from them because frankly they do look much better than the models that came with NWN. But honestly, this is the jump I'm talking about: NWN2 vs NWN. Again, not to detract because those heads linked look leagues better than both of the official content released with each respective game. No, the difference is NWN2 looks a lot better than NWN. Think about it, if I took that head pack and ported it over to NWN2 because of the elf head shortage...well I mean, what would you say? Would you put one of those on your PC?

And I can't really stress that this isn't a diss to anybody, but honestly my impression of the project is that it's a model placeholder project until better ones come out, people have something to work with. A good idea! But if you're not treating these for what they are, then it kind of does a disservice to those who are working on, what I'd consider, top quality models. There is a stark difference between the two you have to admit. Plus, do they even work properly?

What is it? Don't want to hurt somebody's feelings? Think they need the encouragement of high votes to continue? I really don't understand it. A respectable vote reflective on the content should be sufficient, and dare I say anyone who doesn't like it needs to buck up.

And I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Let me know if I am.

OK, now you can call me a hater.

10 comments:

Wyrin said...

dirtywick! of all people, i wouldn't expect you to rehash the old vote inflation argument! I come here for news and excitement! I'm ashamed of you! 0.25/10!



*shrug* When peoples is hungry, thems don't care if they be getting prime steak or cheap cuts of zebu.


But I think everyone knows the difference

Anonymous said...

Yeah, those are gratitude votes... Lots of mod ideas depend on having certain creatures available, and when there's nothing, it hurts. This is opening the floodgates, which is good.

Pretty much everyone knows Ree is the man here. Can't believe how much the drider project is expanding, though -- he's making a whole armor pack for them too? Geez.

Anonymous said...

Btw, Wyrin... I'd never heard of a zebu before! Them things are odd-looking... Maybe somebody should add them to NWN2.

;)

Wyrin said...

hehe. I only really know as there was an expose in the UK about a restaurant chain selling prime beef burgers that were actiually mostly cheap zebu... plus it's a cool name

Ernie Noa said...

I haven't played a new mod for months but I've been wondering if there overall ratings are creeping up. The ratings my mods have received are steadily getting higher, and the mods haven't changed much.

Wyrin said...

they have been creeping up - i did an analysis of chapter 1 votes, and those in the past 5 months are higher on average.

That says there have been some deserving releases recently

dirtywick said...

Eh, half the post was exciting news...

Nah, I see where you guys are coming from about vote inflation, but that's not really the case. Custom content...well anything other than mods really (mine has been rated higher than I thought it should be since the beginning)...has been rated highly consistently since the beginning. I don't really care about any of that, either. Inflation is across the board so relative to each other it balances out.

This is something different because the intent of the project is obvious. These aren't meant to be best options for models, more like only options. They're placeholder models. But, they're being treated like they're the best.

Thing is, I don't think everyone knows the difference, or I wouldn't have written this. My hands are half tied here with my role with Ree and so you won't hear about my opinion anywhere but here, and never again. The point is for the people who don't realize the difference, there should be a voice of reason, a little reminder about what the NWN conversion project is.



Anyway, yes Jonny is doing an armor pack for each armor type. The armor parts will all fit, I think all of the helmets will as well, several heads, full animation sets...it's a huge project.

Phoenixus said...

Well keep in mind I haven't checked out the actual model in the toolset. I've only seen the screenshots.

I don't think it's horrendous or anything. It's not of the caliber of the Beholder that's for sure...

But as I think about this, there's such a shortage of models for monsters that I can see how the encouragement with regards to Voting is moreso... PLEASE MAKE MORE MODELS! - kind of thing.

I don't think there's much to worry about though, because of the effort and programs needed to actually create and import models into NWN2, I doubt we're going to have to worry much about plain old generic crap coming out.

That said... you're right the NWN1 models are generally crap compared to the NWN2 higher poly models with better texture resolution.

Nice indoor areas by the way, you really are looking pretty pro when it comes to making them, but then again I think you always have.

dirtywick said...

Thanks for the compliment.

If objectivity has no meaning when it comes to creature models, I guess that's what it is. No skin off my back I guess, I won't be using any of those NWN conversions. If people are happy with those, then I'm not going to hate.

Just was expecting more rational standards on this issue is all.

Anonymous said...

I do find the voting system on those conversions to be very bloated. I feel the idea as a place holder makes sense. But to treat them like some ground breaking creation? It just is not.

I know the community is lacking in creatures. I can see the desire to take what you can get for the time being. I just feel it needs to be put in better perspective. the ones that spend weeks working on a good model and produce quality work are ending up in the same class as these conversions. Doesn't seem right really.

BTW DW. Awesome screenies! :)

Regards
Liso