Monday, October 8, 2007

Coming at you from an all new location!

That's right, I moved over to blogger dot com. Why? Well turns out what I thought were Google spiders were actually people reading my blog. That, under certain unnamed conditions, may have left a comment. Whether or not they wanted to sell me x4n4x or v14Gr/\ remains to be seen.

Seeing as how I'm pretty lazy, I was going to put this off until tomorrow. If you'll recall from my last post at the old spot, I was awaiting MotB to continue any further. Well, I got an e-mail confirmation that it shipped, and it's estimated to arrive tomorrow. So rather than cut into the time I'll spend messing with that, I'll be messing with this, uh, right now.

First thing's first though, Happy Columbus Day!

For real, I wish somebody would have told me that it was a holiday today. I might have mentioned at some point that I have a three year old that I'm, for all intents and purposes, completely responsible for. Now I don't know if any of you all Google Spiders searching this for topless Britany Spears pics (I guess that was early turn of the century...Jessica Alba?) have kids, but to get a three year old to do something you want as opposed to running around the house screaming and jumping on the bed is a little tricky. My basic method is to bribe her with promises of ice cream, candy, or things to do that are fun (my daughter is actually a bit of a nerd thanks to me, because I can say "I'll read you the Big Book of Snakes and Other Reptiles!" and she loves that ish). So anyways, I had to get her ready for preschool, which includes brushing her teeth, getting her out of pajamas and into clothes, and tieing up a "dad ponytail", which ends up being a tangled mess of rubberband and knotted hair. Obviously, easier said than done. But I struggle with it three times a week.

Point here is that it's a holiday, so the preschool wasn't open. Apparently, every other parent knew that. So I'm standing around in the parking lot, mostly leaning on my decade old Pontiac Sunfire with the dent in the front, smoking cigarettes and wondering why no one else is there. Just so you're not confused, Tenessee is going through the same October heat wave as the rest of the country, but my AC doesn't work so it didn't make much difference whether I smoked in or out of the car. Only took about 15 minutes for me to look at the door with the big "We're closed on Columbus Day" sign...which they didn't even have the decency to add "sorry of the inconvenience!" at the bottom in small print (I checked).

So, yeah, not a real big Columbus fan.

Anyways, on to the NWN2 mod related content of this post:

Nothing new to add.

But, to kick off this new "I get to read comments, yay!" thing I got going, I'm hosting a contest. Check it: Give me a premise for a city based quest you'd like to see. I'll pick one and put it in the mod. I'm putting a few sidequests in the upcoming city area, but I thought I'd have some fun with it and make this a little more interactive than my last spot.

Now I guess I've got to add links to the sidebar and whatnot, maybe a picture of me staring away from the camera?

Alright, so that's all I got.

7 comments:

Wyrin said...

Ooh city quest ideas...

depends a lot on the city, and what's available.

I liked your solve the murder quest in Thay. I always quite like the darker take on things - say, an orphanage down by the docks, run by a hag covey who are eating some, and manipulating others to kill poor parents so more children get sent to the orphanage - the set up can be a series of murders that only small people could have done - maybe have a gnome/halfling set up as a diversion.

Anonymous said...

So about your poll...

The override will just be to update Part 1's data to be in line with Part 2 and beyond? Or something more permanent.

Alex Hugon said...

How about a long(ish) quest involving hunting down several artifacts for a museum, like in Elder Scrolls: Tribunal? Or a quest involving aiding a master mage in the research of a new spell by going on expeditions to fetch rare components in/around the city?

That's all I'll give you--gotta save a few for myself. ;)

dirtywick said...

Thanks for the ideas!

flem,

Basically what I've got is a few hundred custom items. There's a lot of awesome models for weapons out there now, and rather than give them all to the NPCs I thought the player should be able to hold them too.

So what I did was pack them up as an override. What it does is save space on the hak download, and lets you carry them out of the module for use elsewhere (additionally it makes building with them a little easier). It doesn't actually override anything though, just makes the models avaialable globally.

But yeah, I already made the changes to part 1 to make use of it.

Anonymous said...

Why not campaign folder them? Only the 2das have to be packed into haks.

dirtywick said...

Because then you can't carry them over to other modules that didn't use the campaign folder or hak.

Anonymous said...

How about getting a job to track members of the local thieves guild. This leads to you finding a portal in the sewers/caves under the city that they use to dump bodies into the underdark.