Sunday, October 21, 2007

Things are going well.

Ran into a few snags with the beta testing thus far, but that's to be expected. But overall it seems to be going a lot better than the first time around with Chapter 1. That's good news, mostly because I don't like this phase of the building process because it usually involves pinning down bugs and exhaustively testing the fixes.

But I've got to say, thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help. Multiple pairs of eyes makes things so much easier, and I can't even stress how much I appreciate the help.

But yeah, this week has been busy. Well, not so much busy but not having time to work on building. My cousin came out to visit for a few days, and I spent most of that time playing the Wii. I don't know about that console, hopefully it will get better. For one thing, the developers that work on that platform seem too obsessed with the ability to flail your arms seizurically and the character on the screen does stuff, so they tend to go that route when, perhaps, pushing a button would be better.

That's not really the case in all games. Obviously games like Tiger Woods golf are better when you're swinging the thing, and Zelda and Paper Mario use the remote effectively. Mario Party is a lot of fun too. But take Prince of Persia, I can't even play that game. There's too much flailing and too many buttons to learn. I'm looking like an idiot flopping my arms everywhere while my character is getting beat down by every enemy I run into while I'm running up a wall and falling to my death. Likewise, Red Steel sucks because it's ungodly difficult and relies too heavily on the remote which, for whatever reason, they made ultra sensitive and the camera movement really fast.

I would say that, on average, at least half of the games for the Wii I've played end up with me dying dozens of times in the tutorial section before the real game begins before giving up for better pastures.

The best joints on the Wii you can get is Scarface just to play the beginning, and probably the Wii Sports that comes along with it.


I also found a few minutes to play MotB. Anybody know at what point you're supposed to get the Spirit Eater ability? I'm about to go into the Death God's Vault and I'm feeling like I should be eating some souls by this point. I heard about a bug where you can miss the event where you pick it up.

Don't forget that the quest idea contest is still running and any and all beta applications, which is just you asking and not a real application, will be accepted!

No comments: