Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Download the Beta!

Just holla at me here if you want Beta test this motha!

I'm always pretty excited about a real milestone. This is a bulky third of Chapter 2. I play tested it myself, took a little longer because I hit a few snags (none game breaking, though, just oddities), but overall I'm pretty satisfied with what came out of it. The story is a lot more tight so far, the combat is pretty intense, and the companions and RP elements are a lot more varied and alive.

I was going to write about this last time, as my keen sense of observance usually gives me plenty to talk about (most of it stupid, but that's a given), but the last post was a lot longer than I intended it to be.

The other day I caught this anime called "The Fist of the North Star" on Showtime. Now I'm not a big anime fan by any means, but I like some of it. Ninja Scroll is probably the best of all time, Akira was good, Vampire Hunter D, Robotech, about every third or fourth epidsode of Dragon Ball Z, Afro Samurai, I don't know, there's probably some more I've seen and liked. There's also a lot of garbage too, more often than not.

You know what's interesting about anime? It was and, to a certain degree, still is ahead of it's time. It's catching on in the US, but so far the only cartoons that I know of made for adults are comedies. Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. Afro Samurai was pretty recent (and awesome, should be listed above. Matter of fact I'll edit that in right now...) and was great. I'm not sure why the US needed like a 20 year post-Simpsons adjustment period for it to become "OK" for adults to watch cartoons made for adults. But the simple fact is it did, and now-a-days Showtime is playin' them joints on the daily.

But anyway I was watching "Fist of the North Star", and I had seen that before in high school back in the 90's but completely forgotten about it, and Jiminey MFing Crickets! That show is crazy. The basic premise is this guy knows Fist of the North Star style which is like the greatest kung fu style ever, and he wanders a post apocalyptic world doing good deeds using his martial arts. Pretty much a direct port of David Carradine's Kung Fu, except while they both travel the world offering sagely, Kung Fu advice to solve problems, David Carridine doesn't explode people when he punches them.

And that video is the old school tame version. The stuff they're showing these days doesn't leave a black body/red background to the imagination.

That's not even the crazy part. During the opening credits, the writers of the show were given their due. One of them was responsible for the Fist of the North Star novelization. Really, how much could you possibly write about a guy who walks around exploding people with punches? More of a visual thing, though that's obviously trumped by the fact that this must be a stupid book.

Then again, in high school I did a book report about the novelization of "The Golden Child" starring Eddie Murphy. Maybe the Japanese and Americans aren't that different.

3 comments:

Silly Hats Only said...

Ok. Sorry for the bad English in advance.

Played with a fighter lvl. 9 – slighted over powered with equipment.

Really liked the big caravan, a lot of people moving to a place to another and somebody must be responsible theme….;-)

Might be a good idea work a little bit in the cut scenes, mostly camera positioning; for example, in the first militia report cut scene every time red was speaking, the camera was on Lowe neck, scary. Another example, in the cemetery cut scene every time action was on the noble chick, the camera gave me a nice view of the cemetery broken wall.

Inside the tomb, that stunning spell those pesky undead gave me a lot of trouble but I think that was intentional. After a killed the whisper demon (tough fight, essentially because the confuse spell or cloud he kept throwing on me) and talked with the noble lady she stayed there, still hoping to clear her family tomb).

Those demons in the forest, after the militia helper party is ambushed by a demon, got a little bit of trouble to find the path to climb back and help them, however, I might be a little stupid in situations like this.

Those demons swarms in the vale were difficult but manageable. And that cut scene with the red wizards actually worked for me, no problems with camera.

Ok. I’ve choose to go with the elves. No big problems in the camp where stopped to rest. But that tentative romance dialog in the moonlight with Misha? (chuckles) Really need work, or just strip it out.

The Trolls. Bought the short blade with acid damage and the burning hands wand, so were manageable fights. I couldn’t figure out how to kill that first troll boss, in the cave full of bones. In the end a knocked him out, stole the loot, and ran. :-)

The troll chief….wow…. That was impossible to win even with the buffs. I ended up cheating with a SetSTR 50 to kill the blasted beast. Elf lady survived and I talked to her, she ran off to find Phillien(the good elf) but the journal entry stated as she died in the fight.

And I walked off the caves and back to talk with Phillen just to find my game stopper bug…  He disappeared and I got stuck, unable to complete the clear troll infested land quest.


Hope I helped a little. And good work! I really had fun!.

Insert Coins....

Silly Hats Only said...

Sorry, did lose your email in cleaning rampage yesterday.

dirtywick said...

Thanks, this is a lot of help.

One thing if you could check for me because I think you might have missed it is if the woman elf survived there should be a new map pin and that's where you'll find the two elves. I'll have to make that a little more clear I suppose.

Also, you don't need to speak with them to move along to the next area (which is pretty much the end anyway), but the journal says that, which didn't work right for you, and so does the conversation with them both which was missed haha!

But nah, thanks for the feedback. This is good stuff.