Wednesday, October 10, 2007

MotB Edition Up

Or will be soon, at any rate. Technically, as I write this, it's still uploading.

So go play that joint, if you haven't already. The changes were mostly cosmetic, and the rest was fixes to make some room for the new base classes, as well as slapping some new bugs in the face.

It's also about 100 MB larger because of the model override...who knew that could get so big? So, yeah, ouch to those who don't have a broadband connection. But you know what? Another 100 MB isn't that big of a deal if you're on dial up, either way you're putting on download and coming back in the morning, and either way it'll be done by that time.

Good news is it was a lot easier fitting the expansion into my existing hak than I thought it would be. Took about 15 minutes and I was rolling like nothing happened. I haven't checked out everything yet, I want to play it before I start figuring out what everything is and ruining the surprises in the campaign itself, but what I saw was great! There's a ton of new item models, a handful of monsters, a lot of new faces/races and classes, and the placeables! Picking this joint up was worth the money. Plus I hear the campaign itself is awesome, so that's good.

Anyways, I tested it with a Favored Soul...I wasn't terribly impressed with that class. Maybe it slaps everyone around at high levels, but try that joker at level 3 and it's pretty weak. You can cast a handful of buff spells and basically that's the only way you're going to survive. From what I've seen, at high levels they'll make great "melee clerics" with a ton of divine mights and such to go around, but wearing medium armor and being able to cast a couple of crappy first level buffs a few times a day (and you'll have to forego the healing spells if you want to fight) and not being able to turn the undead hurts. I don't even know how you'd handle playing a full caster either; either you're not going to have a whole lot of spells to cast (and a poor selection at that), or your DCs are going to be low enough where it'll take multiple casts to land a spell. In a group though, they have more than enough buffs to go around, which is really nice (stoneskin all around!), and you can basically have persistant divine favor at early levels.

Maybe I'll spend some more time with it and I'll change my mind, or find a better way to work it. But right now I'd rather stick with a cleric, they're a lot more vesatile and turn undead is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, check the post at the bottom of the page. The contest is still going on! When does it end? I haven't really set a date. If you're one of those guys that has a lot of ideas, but no experience with the toolset, here's your chance to see a quest of yours in a mod! On the other hand, if you're a builder and are going to use that idea yourself, eh, probably shouldn't say anything. Hi Hugie!

Enter, the more entries there are the more fun this is!

Alright, until next time!

5 comments:

Alex Hugon said...

Heh, I wouldn't share anything that I was actually planning on implementing in an upcoming module (*cough* Moonshadows 2 *cough*). Those are just two ideas that I think are on the original side, and have a nice open-ended feel to them; they leave you a lot of freedome in designing small scenarious for the acquisition of artifacts/reagents, etc. It's an opportunity to turn many small, distinct excursions into one overarching and fulfilling/rewarding undertaking for the player.

Anonymous said...

Nah, it's all good. I was just playing. Really though, I appreciate the ideas, didn't mean to sound ungrateful or whatever :D

-dirtywick

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that the MoTB version does not work with the Museum Archive bookshelf. I've talked to everyone until they have nothing else to say. The green man even says: "go check the archives", but its not bashable and trying to open it like a door does not work.

Anonymous said...

Go to the library area of the museum and find the floorplans in one of the bookshelves.

-dirtywick

Anonymous said...

I've read every single bookshelf in the Library area. I don't see any plans. I cannot get into the hidden area behind the archive / fake bookshelf. The plot seems to be completely stopped. Any advice?

- Zax