Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Heat, and some screens.

Well, the heat is officially here in Tennessee. For the last month or so it's been between the 50's and 80's (that's Farenheit, I calculated it out to something between 2 and 6 degrees for you Celsius users) so I was hesitating to break out the summer clothes and open the windows and all that because there's nothing fun about being caught with shorts and a wife beater when it's 50 (-8 C) outside, but I think this weekend is going to be the time to do that.

And you know what that means? I'm going to have to go through all my daugther's clothes from last year, filter out what doesn't fit anymore, and probably have to buy new clothes. Which, me being a dude and all, is not something I'm looking forward to. This is particularly difficult because I'm running low on the "reserves". For those of you who have kids, you'll know what I'm talking about, but for the benefit of those who are still able to go kick it on the weekends (even seeing a movie in the theater is a bit of an excerise with children...), basically what happens is when you have a kid, you get garbage bags full of old clothes from all of your relatives, probably last you until they're about 2. My daughter is really small for her age, so she can still fit in 2 year old clothes, but it's getting to that point where the reserves are gone and I'm going to have to buy like all new stuff. And I hate shopping for pretty much everything, even things I like I'm always in kind of a hurry to get out of the store.

The good news is I get to do yard work again, and see what plants I planted last year made it through the winter. Among the casualties are the palm tree, unfortunately. That thing is dead, like rotten wood dead, along with the rose bush. However, my strawberries actually spread and I'm counting around 30 strawberries will be ready in a few weeks, which is awesome. I'm not much of a gardener, but waking up and grabbing a fresh strawberry with my morning cigarette all summer sounds like I'll be living the high life. I'll just have to buy a robe and I'll feel like Hugh Heffner, except surrounded by strawberries instead of naked women.

Anyway, far as the mod is concerned, I have a ton (well, 9) of screens from the newest area (actually two areas, an upper level and it's upper level, and seperate basement), which you can find here. Here's a sample:

Photobucket

Photobucket

New graphics card looks hot, don't it?

Alright, so that's basically half of the two thieves guild, which is a fancy way of saying one of them. The other half (one) comes in two areas, but they're very small, and after that it's writing/scripting the quests involved. I anticipate to be done with those quests by the end of the week, and then I'll be on to the noble houses and the final parts of Chapter 2. So June is looking pretty good for the release.

I decided to change the ending a bit, though. Originally I was going to have like the biggest dungeon EVAR after the city, however I think that'll make up the bulk of Chapter 3 instead, for a few reasons. The biggest being my friend palafoxx is working on some custom content that probably won't be ready for a bit and I really want to use it, so to wait until it's done is the best course of action at this time. What I've got here is big enough to keep people busy for a bit, especially since most quests have different outcomes so you can play it a few times. Finally I want to focus more on a more frequent release schedule and smaller pieces instead of trying to do so much at one time. On that note, I've got some other things going on that are looking more interesting to me at this time (it's actually more like a great opportunity just fell into my lap!), and I've been looking forward to shifting gears a little for a while. More on that later when it's written in stone.

I know, I just spent a lot of words not saying a whole lot. But if you all know me by now, you know I don't give up or leave things half done, so a little faith and some patience and you'll see what's really good.

Peace.

7 comments:

Wyrin said...

ooh cryptic - you been snapped up by a team or something?

June release sounds good - i know what you mean about trying to get more stuff released more often. I'd love to get my next chapter out within a year of the original release, but it could be tricky...

Marked june in my calendar!

EC said...

Let's get the speculation mill going: I think Wyrin is on to something, and I think what you wrote DW may actually contain a hint... :)

Otherwise: I would definitely not go out in shorts on a 2-6 degree Celsius day. Are you sure that conversion is correct? And what the *** is a wife beater?

Love that lighting on the screens. Is that really all thanks to the new card? What card is it?

dirtywick said...

This is a wife beater.

We'll see is all I'm going to say now.

The lighting is a combination of vfx and using full settings. I put the light rays and dust vfx with a range 5 low intensity light by the windows, and changed the lighting settings a little bit. The basement area is completely different, though.

But the card allows me to run it at full settings in HD haha

Anonymous said...

I'd offer to help on the shopping thing. But Somewhere in my female DNA, the shopping bug got lost. I can not stand it either. hehe I just recruit my mom, who is like a pro at it.

Great work being done. i'm still playing the beta. I hope to have some feedback soon )

Liso

EC said...

Alright. We call it a "Marcel", who may just be a wife beater too, who knows.

Jazhara7 said...

My parents were so lucky to have friends whose children were grown up already, and they *still* kept all their clothes. And they had at least four kids, so there was a lot. So we got all the old clothes from those friends, not only up to age 3, but rather up to age...actually, I still am wearing some of the T-shirts we got from them.

Also, since I am the youngest of three kids, I got the dubious honour of getting those old clothes, *and* the old clothes of my sisters. I did get some new clothes as well too, but there was a lot of old stuff anyway. But I never really minded that much, really.

Oh, and we inherited toys! That was so awesome. We got a whole family of Monchichis (a grandmother [who is a bit odd for Monchichi, since she doesn't have a mouth opening to stick her thumb in.], a grandfather [who has a mouth opening, but no appropriately shaped thumb, but instead has a pipe. Fun!], two boys, one girl, one baby, one bunny-monchichi, one bear-monchichi, and two cat-monchichis [one black, one white]), a big pink popple (the original ones, not the awful remakes. They're much too cutefied these days, I think), as well as at least two Puffling Popple. Oh, and a Pound Puppy...with puppies (the puppies we've since lost. They are *somewhere* around the house, though I don't know *where* exactly.)


"I'll just have to buy a robe and I'll feel like Hugh Heffner, except surrounded by strawberries instead of naked women."

That line just made my day. Priceless!

Anonymous said...

As I rather enjoy nitpicking:

80 Farenheigh = 26°

50 Farenheigh = 10°